macOS Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs
• Early-2008 or newer Mac Pro, iMac, or MacBook Pro:
• Late-2008 or newer MacBook Air or Aluminum Unibody MacBook:
• Early-2009 or newer Mac Mini or white MacBook:
• Early-2008 or newer Xserve:
Things you'll need:
• A copy of the macOS Mojave Installer App. This can be obtained from the Mac App Store using a machine that supports Mojave, or by using the built-in downloading feature of the tool. In the Menu Bar, simply select "Tools > Download macOS Mojave..."
• A USB drive that's at least 16 GB in size
• A copy of the tool - Download:
How to use:
- Insert your desired USB drive, open Disk Utility, and format it as OS X Extended (Journaled).
- Open the "macOS Mojave Patcher" tool, and browse for your copy of the macOS Mojave Installer App.
(Friendly Reminder: Ensure that the tool successfully verifies the app.)
- Next, select your USB drive in the Target Volume list, and click "Start Operation."
- When the operation completes, boot your target unsupported Mac off the USB drive you just created by holding down the Option key while turning on the machine, and selecting the drive.
(Note: Only perform steps 5 and 6 if you intend to do a clean install. Otherwise, you can simply skip these steps and install to your volume containg a previous version of OS X, and it'll do an in-place upgrade.)
- When the installer boots, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, or by double-clicking it in the Utilities window on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Select the disk or partition you want to install on, and erase it, ensuring to use either Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or APFS as the filesystem type. If formatting an entire drive, ensure GUID is selected.
(Important Note: Using APFS is REQUIRED in Mojave in order to receive system updates via the normal Software Update method. If you choose to continue using macOS Extended (Journaled) as your filesystem type, you will NOT receive System Updates via System Preferences.)
- Install macOS normally onto the desired volume.
- When the install completes, reboot back onto the installer drive. This time, open the "macOS Post Install" application.
- In the application, select the Mac model you are using. The optimal patches will be selected for you based on the model you select. You can also select other patches of your choosing.
- Select the volume you have just installed macOS Mojave on, and click "Patch." When it finishes patching, click "Reboot". It may sit there for a few moments rebuilding caches before rebooting.
- When it reboots, it should now boot into a fully working copy of macOS Mojave.